This week in our CSA we got a ton of great stuff! Eggs, corn, potatoes, bell pepper, squash, tomatoes, eggplant, and okra. We used the eggplant and squash, along with some patty pan squash we had leftover from last week, on the grill with some chicken.
So what do you do with a basket full of corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, and okra when you know you are about to get another basket full in a few days? You make Maque Choux. Don’t ask me what it means. I can tell you how to pronounce it – mock shoe. It’s some sort of dish of veggies and sometimes meat from Louisiana and it has a cajun flavor to it. And it is completely, 100% delicious.
Cajun Maque Choux
- 1 lb. sausage (we used Smoked Beef Sausage- Hillshire Farm brand), cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups of fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, and diced tomato
- S & P
- Cajun spice – or basil, chili powder, crushed red pepper flakes